We focus on two elements of communication:
Taking turns the participants are faced with the task of providing instructions to their team from behind a screen.
Later, the participants choose between a variety of supporting mechanisms to improve their instructions.
The exercise highlights the pitfalls of giving (and receiving) instructions and illustrates how they can be avoided and resolved.
"Excellent for showing how perspective changes between the person giving the information or presentation and the person receiving it."
We explore the balance of Engaging and Informing. Participants give short presentations focusing on the extremes of engaging.
"Very useful to see lots of different tactics to engage – certainly have some new ideas."
At the end of this session the participants will:
- understand the importance of giving good instructions
- have learnt some techniques to improve the quality of their instructions
- understand how difficult it can be for their managers to give instructions and what they can do to help
- understand the balance between informing and engaging
- be more confident, capable and engaging presenters